Friday, December 20, 2019

Stille Nacht

Is there a more popular Christmas carol/song than Silent Night?

Possibly not.

Silent Night was written in 1818 with lyrics by Joseph Mohr and music by Fanz Xavier Gruber.

Dresden Choir

The Bing Crosby version recorded in 1935 is the fourth best-selling single of all time.



The Mannheim Steamroller version has always been my favorite. I'm not really sure why, but it speaks to me. Every year when I hear it that first time at Christmas, I'm in love all over again.



This version of the song is full of good memories. It takes me back to my childhood. I listened to it with my family. It's not Christmas for me until I've heard this whole album. Then we got to play an orchestral version in high school. When I found out I was so excited because the whole second half of the song is violin solo! I was concertmaster at the time and that was going to be me!

Except it wasn't. The orchestral version gives that solo to the cello. I was so mad. I still love the song, though.

One of my favorite Christmas stories begins with Silent Night. Here is a beautiful Sainsbury's ad that shows what happened one Christmas Eve during World War One.




Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment